In 1931, Dr. Alfonso A. Perna returned to his hometown of Binghamton to set up his practice in the Capitol Theater Building. Dr. Perna was a 1929 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and received further training at the University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine through 1930. He served in the US Army Reserves, and in 1941 was called up to active duty for World War II, forcing the closure of his practice. In 1946, he returned to Binghamton and re-established his office on South Washington Street. Dr. Perna moved his practice to its present location at 55 Oak Street in Binghamton in 1955.
In July 1966, Dr. Alfonso J. Perna joined his father’s dental practice. Dr. Alfonso J. Perna is a 1965 graduate of the University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine and completed the Edward J. Meyer Hospital Dental Internship program at Buffalo in 1966. They practiced together until 1978, and the elder Dr. Alfonso A. Perna passed in 1981.
In July 1994, Dr. Michael C. Perna joined his father in the Perna Dental practice. Dr. Michael C. Perna is a 1993 graduate of the University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine and completed a clinical residency program at the Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, NY in 1994. Today, even though Dr. A.J. Perna is retired, he can still be seen in the hallways chatting with his former patients.